Skip to main content

As Michael Joseph bows out....



I remember my very first interview with Michael Joseph in June 2007 at the Laico Regency, Safaricom was then announcing it's full year as well as talking on the possibility of an IPO, which was of course not being run by Vodaphone but by the Government of Kenya. I was jittery as I had just joined CNBC Africa and began by doing some pretty high profile interviews with people I was only used to watching on TV. He was my 4th Interviewee after Richard Branson, Central Bank Governor Njuguna Ndung'u and the then Finance Minister Amos Kimunya. But still I had butterflies, the Interview though went well, and he declined to comment much on the IPO. Since then I have interviewed him a couple more times, and his passion about Safaricom is unquestionable.

During my different interactions with Safaricoms and news around it, Michael strikes me as one of those types that had it mapped out right from day one, strategy wise, but kept going back to it and altered it as the market grew. He and his team also has an eye for the best talent, and better still; know how to keep them there.

So I when I heard recently that he is leaving on the 1st of November, I began to envision what the company would be like without him. He has been what many refer to as a visionary leader, with impeccable integrity. Those that work for the company or know him personally would know better, but what I can say , as an outsider who has spoken and interviewed economists, stakeholders, stockbrokers and shareholders almost every week in the last 3 years in my job as a business reporter, there is something about how MJ lead the company that is above impressive.

I remember watching him recently On Citizen TV as he defended his company over proposed regulations by CCK which would hurt them as the market leader; it felt as if he was dealing with a personal attack.

But, his was a strategy that held on.

This week I have been reading this months HBR and I couldn't stop making references to CEO's and MD's that I know who have great strategies and manage to deliver them.I could almost write MJ across the bullet points as I indulged the writers opinions( KCB's Martin Oduour Otieno, Equity's James Mwangi and Even President Paul Kagame could fall in this category)

It's one thing to have a great strategy and it is another to deliver it. Michael Joseph is one of those who managed both successfully. Top Exec's create the strategy, but those below them carry it out. If the team shares in the goals and believes in the strategy, it will be carried out to the T; then that's what you can call a great company, and if Safaricom's financial results over the past decade is anything to go by, then I would say he mastered the art of the steering the team in line with his strategy; (Mobitelea not with standing)

Safaricom's products, services may not be what every Kenyan is happy with and the share price not what shareholders anticipated, but the company is the most profitable company is East Africa, the biggest taxpayer in the country, as well as the company that has the biggest number of shareholders across East Africa.

Safaricom is Michael Joseph's baby, and my two cents is that he has been a great parent. It will be interesting to see how the company fights it out for what has been a marginally declining market share in the past two years, which now stands at 78%.

He has left a legacy, and is surely a great example of how great leadership works.( I wonder if he will be sipping martini's and playing golf from Nov 2nd!;-)...That's my ultimate goal when i'm done working smart!

We will miss him at the top, but we will be watching Bob Collymore as he steers one of EA's best ran companies.

In other news...When our wings are strong enough to fly...then lets let them fly...mine's on that path;But I will still be here.

Comments

  1. Nary a Kenyan that could succeed him? Look at mobile companies across Africa and the paucity of indigines at the helm...Vusi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Prof Makau Mutua, keep your predictions to yourself.

Dear Prof. Makau Mutua, “I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye Prof, you and J.D Salinger clearly share no beliefs. And maybe you shouldn’t. But I feel that you would be the man with an evil laugh pushing the thousands of little children off the cliff. Let me explain. Your tweet on the 23rd of Dec 2012,in Buffalo, New York "@makaumutua I predict a military coup in Kenya after t

SCANNING SCANGROUP

Scan group just annouced its full year results for year ending 2008 with Profit after tax up 24%. I got to speak with the man himself Bharat Thakrar (now second biggest shareholder (20%) after getting into bed with WPP Group (27% in october). The interview airs on CNBC Africa tomorrow. it's important to first note that the advertising Industry in Kenya grew by 21% in 2008. with the Company's current market share in East Africa at 46% the growth in the overal industry reflected well in their bottom line. WPP Group is definately a great lay for Scangroup.The two smart Joint ventures into discplines that Scangroup has not been doing exeptionaly well in, especially PR, which contributed only 3% to the entire outfit. But This is set to change through their latest joint Venture with Hill and Knowlton, which is among the worlds top PR companies, and also part of the WPP group.Ownership, 51 percent Scangroup and 49 percent by a WPP subsidiary. Exit Scanad PR, Enter Hill& Knowlton E

THE RICH AND THE REST: The Kenyan Story.

Aiming high! A recent title of the Economist publication read “The Rich and the Rest’. Before we get prejudicial as most of us do, I do not buy the economist on a weekly basis, sometimes almost never, I’d love to, but it’s an expensive habit to maintain. My former boss got me hooked though and once in a while, I will attempt to steal a copy, or go online to their website which has also now been squeezed to subscribers who can access it once they’ve paid for the 'Premium articles'. But this time, I painfully bought a copy, only because of its title; 'The Rich and the Rest. The special report on this edition focused on what they referred to as ‘The few’ then stratified into other sections such as 'More Millionaires than Australians’. The world’s water coolers – where the influential people meet and talk, ‘The Global campus- The best universities now have worldwide reach.' As I buried my head in the pages, Kenya’s rich (elite) made little flashes in my mind,