Skip to main content

Just a Brand




I started listening to Radio! Yeah that’s big, I have never owned a radio, or an iPod, or any gadgets in that pool, but I’m driving a friend’s car and, unlike mine, which survives on original cd’s of my favorite musicians, his car can receive several radio channels. So I listen to Capital in the morning (Chris Foot) and in the evening (Maqbul and Cess), and occasionally, the weekend football show on Kiss and Classic.

So, I have also been subjected to advertising. Subjected, because I feel like creative people have picked the lazy path and are dishing (with great colorful presentations) I think, thoughtless advertising that is nothing close to what I believe the basics of advertising are.

I’m not a creative. I am not in advertising. But I know a bad advert when I see or hear one. I once worked as a client service assistant at Express Advertising, but even that does not make me an expert.

Take the Toss advert for instance, a girl who sounds pretty excited talking about how the paparazzi has been following her around town, because she looks so fresh ( or whatever word they used). It could be a futuristic advert, looking forward to the days when paparazzi will follow around nameless good looking girls in bright clothes, possibly driving a Bugatti Veyron all over town in Manolos. Kenyans are not fascinated by celebrities, yet.

Then there’s the Minute Maid “pulpy ad”. Who uses the word ‘pulpy’ when buying juice, of whatever kind? Sigh. It's hard to believe that it is actually a coca-cola product.

There are so many such ad’s, just turn your radio on.

The reason an ad like ‘ Marangi’ or the Safaricom one that sounds like a prayer, or the Tusker one that had thousands of Kenyans sing as if they wrote the national anthem, were so successful, and memorable is because they were believable. I felt like part of the brand, even though beer tastes like soaked wood.

Right now, I love the CBA Bank ad that says, "remember to remember, do what you can to remember, ask your wife, sing in the shower, remember to open an account", ..etc..Love it, because it’s real, and it’s funny.

Some say it’s about budgets. The bigger the budget; the better the ad. I say; you have another think coming. Look at this Durex ad, it is one of my favorites.



What do you think the budget for that was?

Creativity cannot be boxed in budgets. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

So, Dear Creatives, you do a good job,mostly. But I feel that you are also working with clients who do not understand the value of their brands, otherwise they would demand better. I know about the late nights and the last minute rushes. I also know that that’s part of the JD. Just give us something to remember!

Then there's also the problem of little or no competition,an almost monopolistic advertising sector, and clients who insisit on what they want, no matter what. You can never really win, can you? then again , it is just a brand....

Dear Ladies...here's a treat for you, since we're talking advertising

Comments

  1. One unbelievable one is the YU tv advert, the guy has no credit but is taking his girlfriend to an Italian place? Really? I am not in advertising either but....I would have just said "5 minutes, Kenya Cinema" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe uko itabidi amewacha simu.

      Then the next time he is on YU network he says "Herrroooo baby"That really anys me.

      Delete
  2. "...even though beer tastes like soaked wood."
    Offensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blogg...u forgot one ad "nose to nose, chest to chest, heart to heart..." how abt that..

    ReplyDelete
  4. How abt the one for Molo Milk where the 'comedians' pay dowry using milk..who even does that?Nkt!The first one with the "Usiseme ma{s}iwa sema ng'ombe" tag was painfully ok{give 70%}but ths other one..sema..#LackOfCreativity


    www.ogeezone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The worst is the Airtel ad with the beeps! I keep asking, if they really had to do the beeps, si wangenunua kabambe na warecord beep zake?? Surely!

    LOL! The soaked wood, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh there's that 'doube double" ad that also drives me nuts...Thanks for stopping by, do come back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said.There is also the family Bank adverts of Kabisa..I have just seen them on TV iam yet to hear the radio version but the TV version is so bad! Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yap agree with you. Some ads need some creativity while others are way top of the game.Like one on one mobile company of two guys talking and "dissing" the other on calling rates.Nice article though en keep listening to radio a lot its good too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Prof Makau Mutua, keep your predictions to yourself.

Dear Prof. Makau Mutua, “I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye Prof, you and J.D Salinger clearly share no beliefs. And maybe you shouldn’t. But I feel that you would be the man with an evil laugh pushing the thousands of little children off the cliff. Let me explain. Your tweet on the 23rd of Dec 2012,in Buffalo, New York "@makaumutua I predict a military coup in Kenya after t

SCANNING SCANGROUP

Scan group just annouced its full year results for year ending 2008 with Profit after tax up 24%. I got to speak with the man himself Bharat Thakrar (now second biggest shareholder (20%) after getting into bed with WPP Group (27% in october). The interview airs on CNBC Africa tomorrow. it's important to first note that the advertising Industry in Kenya grew by 21% in 2008. with the Company's current market share in East Africa at 46% the growth in the overal industry reflected well in their bottom line. WPP Group is definately a great lay for Scangroup.The two smart Joint ventures into discplines that Scangroup has not been doing exeptionaly well in, especially PR, which contributed only 3% to the entire outfit. But This is set to change through their latest joint Venture with Hill and Knowlton, which is among the worlds top PR companies, and also part of the WPP group.Ownership, 51 percent Scangroup and 49 percent by a WPP subsidiary. Exit Scanad PR, Enter Hill& Knowlton E

THE RICH AND THE REST: The Kenyan Story.

Aiming high! A recent title of the Economist publication read “The Rich and the Rest’. Before we get prejudicial as most of us do, I do not buy the economist on a weekly basis, sometimes almost never, I’d love to, but it’s an expensive habit to maintain. My former boss got me hooked though and once in a while, I will attempt to steal a copy, or go online to their website which has also now been squeezed to subscribers who can access it once they’ve paid for the 'Premium articles'. But this time, I painfully bought a copy, only because of its title; 'The Rich and the Rest. The special report on this edition focused on what they referred to as ‘The few’ then stratified into other sections such as 'More Millionaires than Australians’. The world’s water coolers – where the influential people meet and talk, ‘The Global campus- The best universities now have worldwide reach.' As I buried my head in the pages, Kenya’s rich (elite) made little flashes in my mind,