Friday, October 19, 2012

Nao Fomadores, why you must read this post..

I have had a long day. I'm getting used to the grueling hours here, but I am also loving them. I just got back from dinner with Sammy, my cameraman at a place called Mimmo's about 2 blocks away from our home away from home, Hotel Africa.

It's a lovely warm night, a tad windy, but beautiful.

It's very safe in the City here, at least in the area we are in, we get to walk to and from the restaurant every night, now they even say hello, instead of their usual Portuguese greetings.

Tonight I Gifted myself with Vinho de tinto, dry. That's Red wine in Portuguese. We have worked hard,and enjoyed every minute of it, alongside my prego and chips, I enjoyed a chat with our waitress, who, interestingly learned to speak English all on her own. I miss my daughter.

I can't wait to get back home and hear her one million stories about school and friends. I also miss my blackberry.And my car. I miss someone who shall remain nameless at this point.

Earlier tonight, I was to have a live crossing on our news bulletin though we didn't get around to doing it. I'd like to share it with you.

RAMAH: Terryanne is Mozambique funding it's own Agricultural investments through taxes, or is it likely to take the external funding system and take the same road that Malawi took?

TERRRYANNE; Ramah, Malawi's case is a sad story of an ambitious self sustenance plan that run on an unsustainable funding programme, and worse still, without good bargaining power. For Mozambique,however, it is a different story.

To answer the first part of your question, Mozambique is not funding it's investments through taxes.

To put into context, the country went through civil War that lasted 20 years and ended in 1992' s you can imagine what that did to education and the growth of a skilled labour force, as a result the tax base remains very little.

Mozambique is a paradox of sorts, on one hand it is home to millions of poor people, while on the other hand it has just discovered that it is on the cusp of a game changing space, and it could be among the worlds top energy producers.

The challenge now is in striking a reasonable balance and encouraging inclusive growth. An interesting observation is how the government is taking advantage of not only the new funding streams but the positive investor sentiment to diversify funding to sectors such as Agriculture and Infrastructure.

Mozambique is coming to the investors table as a partner, not a beggar seeking donor funds.

Mine, and the General hope is that the growth will be inclusive and trickle down to ordinary Mozambicans. In other news,Nao Fomadores..(no smoking) well, irrelevant, but now you know. Obrigada! Xx, see you soon.

4 comments:

  1. 'Nao Fomadores'-Nice.Maybe you should start charging for the Portuguese lessons we are getting from your recent posts :-)

    www.reneemurrey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, wait until I ca construct a sentence. Braggingriights.commshall be launched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this nameless guy because some of us are now super curious after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good read www.pablowest38.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete