Skip to main content

"THERE ARE NO WOMEN MADE FOR MARRIAGE IN NAIROBI ANYMORE", HE SAID.

The highlight of my weekend was an abrasive young man who offered to buy me a Toyota Vitz.

The gentleman in question was obviously on a little more tipple than he needed. A very patient me sat and listened to him as he went on and on about his VX, his millions, how he went to the President's former school and, if I agreed to be with him, our children would go to an international school.

My problem wasn't that he wanted to buy me a vitz, (well maybe a little)  it was the disgust at his rather brash and unnecessary flaunting of his wealth, (or his fathers).  I kept thinking to my self why I wasn't just shooing him off to do what I went to do, listening to the incredibly talented DJ Adrian on a Friday night at Queens. He spoke flawless Sheng, which I thought was cool, and told me that he was a well educated and wealthy young man.

Naturally I was put off by his display of a hangover from teenage bravado, but engaged him just to understand he had to talk Money so fast, I'm told however, it's the new money fever. 

No romance without finance, perhaps? 

The conversation surprised me as much as it entertained me. And I wondered, at what point does the question about money, which sometimes equals stability, or provision or whatever you would like to call it come in? Do we women only date men with money? If you're a woman, would you date a man who earns less than you? If you're a man would you date a woman who earns more than you? If the answer is no, why not? 

I'm all for comfort and a wealth.  I love to travel to exotic locations, fine dining and Shop on Net-a porter, but it does not have to be the man's role to do this. If I can afford it, I will, because every woman has dreams that need money to be achieved. In as much as it is great to have a guy with cash,  it was such turn off to meet one that was so brattish about his. 

As an unmarried woman ( FYI after 30 you stop being single and start being unmarried) I have found that Nairobi has its fair share of amazing men, dead beat dads and the usual serial player. Every Nairobi woman has a story that may or may not include the three characters. Perhaps even in that order. And given their role, the money talk has been an issue. Some are generous, some are penny pinchers, some are honestly living their best life within their budget.

My young new friend told me "There are no women made for marriage in Nairobi anymore, because all they care is about money and status". I asked him whose fault it was, if his idea of asking a woman out was to share his bank account details, minus the credit card and PIN number, of course. I digress :-)

I'd had a similar conversation in the near past with a young college student who said he couldn't date a college girl, even if he wanted to because they're all about big cars, big money and shopping trips which a regular college boy would not afford.

Money talks. Perhaps. 

The flip side though is that there are many incredible women in Nairobi who work hard, have made their money and are living their dream, but in this dating world, that they seem to be having more money is a problem in itself. The dating pool becomes much smaller (but then again, the world is an Oyster, right?)



I've heard a story about a lady who sold her Prado and bought a March in order to 'Repackage herself' for marriage, and another who bought a vita to go for dates and would use her BMW for work so she could be eligible. 

It's a subject we've had several gags about with friends, and oft times it really never has a happy ending. It is the same reason why some women have to tone down in boardrooms and sits coy and sips her Fanta orange quietly when she meet his boys, so that she can seem more calm and polite. ( read marriageable). 

I mean I had had good jobs and had side gigs for more than 10 years, I was honestly tickled by this young man's ideas of taking me to Equity bank the next day for us to buy the Vitz, hopefully the beginning of a beautiful courtship.

Questions about money can never be conclusively addressed, and I bid him goodbye, however, I was plesantly surprised when he asked to walk me out.

I didn't drive out in a Vitz.

Priceless.


Comments

  1. Interesting piece.Many relationships fail these days because they are founded on material things such as money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was watching Dallas this weekend, there is a part where JR II says "Money and morality are like two race cars in a one lane road, they can't be on the same pace, one has to knock down the other, and normally, money does"..so darn true! Never-ending discussion...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to read your blog posts for the longest time...I open and read this first!! My feelings exactly!!...*reading on singing 'Flawless' by Beyonce*. Thank you for making me feel not out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice read! If only there were more of you Terryanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our society is plagued with such numerous examples of misconceptions about what it is that the opposite sex (both ways) seeks for a relationship to prosper. I truly fear for the future generations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well articulated...lakini jameni, after 30 single ladies are referred to as unmarried, woi!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Terryanne I don't think he even noticed your car - our world is becoming more and more narcissistic. My article here is a longer read from last year when Ken Wa Maria talked about fundamentals http://johnsepage.blogspot.com/2014/02/these-are-not-your-fundamentals-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take the Vitz and put it in your handbag

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Prof Makau Mutua, keep your predictions to yourself.

Dear Prof. Makau Mutua, “I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye Prof, you and J.D Salinger clearly share no beliefs. And maybe you shouldn’t. But I feel that you would be the man with an evil laugh pushing the thousands of little children off the cliff. Let me explain. Your tweet on the 23rd of Dec 2012,in Buffalo, New York "@makaumutua I predict a military coup in Kenya after t

SCANNING SCANGROUP

Scan group just annouced its full year results for year ending 2008 with Profit after tax up 24%. I got to speak with the man himself Bharat Thakrar (now second biggest shareholder (20%) after getting into bed with WPP Group (27% in october). The interview airs on CNBC Africa tomorrow. it's important to first note that the advertising Industry in Kenya grew by 21% in 2008. with the Company's current market share in East Africa at 46% the growth in the overal industry reflected well in their bottom line. WPP Group is definately a great lay for Scangroup.The two smart Joint ventures into discplines that Scangroup has not been doing exeptionaly well in, especially PR, which contributed only 3% to the entire outfit. But This is set to change through their latest joint Venture with Hill and Knowlton, which is among the worlds top PR companies, and also part of the WPP group.Ownership, 51 percent Scangroup and 49 percent by a WPP subsidiary. Exit Scanad PR, Enter Hill& Knowlton E

THE RICH AND THE REST: The Kenyan Story.

Aiming high! A recent title of the Economist publication read “The Rich and the Rest’. Before we get prejudicial as most of us do, I do not buy the economist on a weekly basis, sometimes almost never, I’d love to, but it’s an expensive habit to maintain. My former boss got me hooked though and once in a while, I will attempt to steal a copy, or go online to their website which has also now been squeezed to subscribers who can access it once they’ve paid for the 'Premium articles'. But this time, I painfully bought a copy, only because of its title; 'The Rich and the Rest. The special report on this edition focused on what they referred to as ‘The few’ then stratified into other sections such as 'More Millionaires than Australians’. The world’s water coolers – where the influential people meet and talk, ‘The Global campus- The best universities now have worldwide reach.' As I buried my head in the pages, Kenya’s rich (elite) made little flashes in my mind,