Skip to main content
Recently, I shared an article titled, what to do when you lose your job. I did lose my job a couple of years ago and I wanted to share a few tips on what I did to get back on my feet after that traumatic experience. 



As a response to that article, I received a number of questions about how I managed my personal finances during that difficult time. 

As it is for many people, a job loss catches us unawares and many times unprepared, with little or no emergency fund, where do you begin? The fact that I had 2 side hustles really propped me up during the tough times. But because they were both rather new businesses, I had to look for more jobs as a communications consultant as well as moderating events and as an MC for corporate events, which are well paying. 

The difference though was that I had to put my foot out go pitch. I had to build a professional profile as a moderator, something that I had taken for granted when I was employed. I quickly realized that out of sight is truly out of mind, so I had to ensure that I was top on mind and stayed visible. I took networking more seriously and told everyone who could need my services that I was available to MC/ Moderate. There is no shame in asking, and you will find that there are people out there willing to help. 

So today I would like to share some of the lessons that took me through and which I continue to follow on in my own personal finance journey. 

Calculate your net-worth 

Do you know what your net-worth is? 
The most important place to start when creating your personal finance strategy is to know what you are really worth. 
This is a simple exercise where you write down all your assets and their average value, then write down all your debt/liabilities and do a subtraction as follows Net worth = Assets — Liabilities 

Stick to your budget 

Draw a table and on one column write down all your monthly income, and on the other your monthly expenses. 
Ensure that you stick to the budget on a monthly basis. 
Other tips that I have greatly benefited from was from a mentor who taught me the importance of paying the school fees monthly and ahead of time. Most recently I have also discovered shopping during the sale seasons as well as buying in bulk from wholesale shops as opposed to the supermarket. 

Debt repayment 

Debt isn’t easy to deal with but we must be brave enough to deal with it. 
Write down all your debt and create a payment plan starting with the ones with the highest interest rate. It is advised that you pay more than you should, and I also try to top up my payment with every extra cash I make. 
Cut-up or cancel your credit cards so you are not tempted to use it. 
There are a number of debt management apps that can help you not only track your payments but also reminds you when a payment is due. 

Find a side hustle 

Whether it is a hobby that you can grow into a business, or an opportunity you see in the market, the need for a secondary source of income has isn’t just another sexy trend, it is a necessity in these times. Research, listen to people and you will find that there are solutions that can earn you an extra buck. I had already set up Keyara, a skincare business that kept me grounded and on my feet when finances were tight. 

Implement the 50–30–20 rule 

Older teachings that advised people to ensure rent or mortgage is 30% of gross earnings has been debated in recent times, with more and more personal finance experts advising people to consider the 50–30–20 rule. The basic rule is to divide up your after tax income and allocate it as follows: 50% on needs, ( Rent, Utilities, Payment of debt) 30% on wants, which could be anything from a nice perfume, dining out, attending concerts, while 20% to your savings and repayment of debt. 

I’d also like to challenge you to commit at least 20 minutes a day to read an article on personal finance. If you do not take interest in the 5 tips, trust me on this one! Note: Read, share and let me know what else you’d like me to write about. Thank you for stopping by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Open Letter to Prof Makau Mutua, keep your predictions to yourself.

Dear Prof. Makau Mutua, “I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye Prof, you and J.D Salinger clearly share no beliefs. And maybe you shouldn’t. But I feel that you would be the man with an evil laugh pushing the thousands of little children off the cliff. Let me explain. Your tweet on the 23rd of Dec 2012,in Buffalo, New York "@makaumutua I predict a military coup in Kenya after t

THE RICH AND THE REST: The Kenyan Story.

Aiming high! A recent title of the Economist publication read “The Rich and the Rest’. Before we get prejudicial as most of us do, I do not buy the economist on a weekly basis, sometimes almost never, I’d love to, but it’s an expensive habit to maintain. My former boss got me hooked though and once in a while, I will attempt to steal a copy, or go online to their website which has also now been squeezed to subscribers who can access it once they’ve paid for the 'Premium articles'. But this time, I painfully bought a copy, only because of its title; 'The Rich and the Rest. The special report on this edition focused on what they referred to as ‘The few’ then stratified into other sections such as 'More Millionaires than Australians’. The world’s water coolers – where the influential people meet and talk, ‘The Global campus- The best universities now have worldwide reach.' As I buried my head in the pages, Kenya’s rich (elite) made little flashes in my mind,

SCANNING SCANGROUP

Scan group just annouced its full year results for year ending 2008 with Profit after tax up 24%. I got to speak with the man himself Bharat Thakrar (now second biggest shareholder (20%) after getting into bed with WPP Group (27% in october). The interview airs on CNBC Africa tomorrow. it's important to first note that the advertising Industry in Kenya grew by 21% in 2008. with the Company's current market share in East Africa at 46% the growth in the overal industry reflected well in their bottom line. WPP Group is definately a great lay for Scangroup.The two smart Joint ventures into discplines that Scangroup has not been doing exeptionaly well in, especially PR, which contributed only 3% to the entire outfit. But This is set to change through their latest joint Venture with Hill and Knowlton, which is among the worlds top PR companies, and also part of the WPP group.Ownership, 51 percent Scangroup and 49 percent by a WPP subsidiary. Exit Scanad PR, Enter Hill& Knowlton E